DRAMATIC footage has emerged on social media of the moment a large fire consumed a bowling alley in Troy, USA.
Local schools were forced to close following the fire, which broke out on Wednesday afternoon (8th May).
The fire at the ‘Alpha Lanes’ bowling alley on Fifth Avenue, destroyed the historic building, collapsing parts of the structure.
There were no reported injuries in the fire, Troy Fire Chief Eric McMahon told CBS6.
Troy Mayor Patrick Madden described the incident on Twitter and spoke of firefighters working hard to knock down the flames and contain the blaze.
It is not yet known how the fire started.
The city’s deputy mayor was on scene with first responders, Madden wrote.
In the dramatic footage (below) which has been viewed over 1.5 million times, the fire can be seen to rapidly spread as firefighters don breathing apparatus before trying to tackle the blaze.
At the beginning of the video, a fire officer can be seen walking next to the building before the fire suddenly becomes more extreme after what appears to be a ‘backdraft’ caused the inferno to rapidly expand.
Members of the public can be seen running away from the area as they point their mobile phones behind them in the hope of filming the inferno.
There are reports that firefighters had to remove propane cylinders from the premises.