Two teenagers have been found guilty of murdering 17-year-old Jodie Chesney in a cowardly, brutal and unprovoked attack in a Harold Hill park.
An Old Bailey jury heard how Jodie lost her life when she was with a group of friends on what was a typical Friday night after college.
Members of Jodie’s family attended court throughout the trial and listened to the series of events that led to the student’s death.
Today, Thursday, 7 November, Svenson Ong-a-Kwie, 19 (29.03.00) of Hillfoot Road, Collier Row, and a 17-year-old from Barking who cannot be named for legal reasons, were found guilty of her murder.
They will be sentenced at the same court on Monday, 18 November.
Manuel Petrovic, 20 (21.12.98), from Romford, and a 16-year-old boy from Romford, who also cannot be named for legal reasons, were found not guilty of murder or manslaughter.
On Friday, 1 March, Jodie had finished college for the afternoon and had gone home to Dagenham to walk her dog.
Jodie with her dog
She and her boyfriend then met up with four of their closest friends at Romford railway station, before heading to St. Neot’s Road Play Park, known locally as Amy’s Park, in Harold Hill.
As the group of friends sat on a bench table in the park, talking and listening to music, the court heard how Ong-a-Kwie, along with the 17-year-old, went into Amy’s Park having been driven to Harold Hill by Petrovic.
They approached the group, and for a reason known only to Ong-a-Kwie, then aged 18, he stabbed Jodie once in the back.
Ong-a-Kwie has been found guilty of Jodie’s murder
No words were said or exchanged either before or after the attack, and the two ran from the park, leaving Jodie mortally wounded in the arms of her boyfriend.
Her friends could only watch as this awful event unfolded, and within seconds they began heroic, yet futile efforts to save her life.
The whole series of events, between the defendants arriving at the park to the brutal act of violence against Jodie, took only seconds.
Jodie as a child
The first call to the emergency services was made at 21.22hrs, and two Met PCs arrived at the scene at around 21.35hrs.
One of the officers began chest compressions and around a minute or so after, medics from London Ambulance Service arrived.
To try and save Jodie’s life, a team of London Air Ambulance medics in a car were deployed to meet the ambulance at an Esso Garage in Gants Hill, Redbridge.
Jodie before she attended a prom
It was there, on the forecourt of a petrol station, that doctors opened Jodie’s chest in an attempt to get her heart beating again.
They were tragically unable to save her, as the stab wound had caused her lung to collapse and bleed heavily.
Jodie was pronounced dead at 22.26hrs.
At a post-mortem examination at East Ham Public Mortuary on Sunday, 3 March Home Office pathologist Dr Fegan-Earl attributed the cause of death to a combination of shock and haemorrhage.
Jodie with her dad
Immediately after the stabbing, a witness saw Petrovic’s black Vauxhall Corsa driving away from Amy’s Park.
When news of the murder broke the next day, the witness realised the significance of the sighting and reported it to police.
Further enquiries established that the Corsa had been abandoned in Elvet Avenue.
Petrovic admitted driving to the park but denied having any knowledge of what would happen once they got there.
The trial, presided over by HHJ Wendy Joseph QC, lasted eight weeks.
Detective Chief Inspector Dave Whellams, who led the investigation into Jodie’s murder, said:
“I would like to pay tribute to Jodie, who was clearly a wonderful and joyful young woman with so much to offer the world.
“The testimonies to her character and kindness have been a source of sadness as well as a celebration of a life that touched so many.
“This is among the saddest cases I have led, and I can only hope that today’s verdict has provided a modest sense of justice for her family and friends.
“This is a case which has affected not only those in the local area but throughout London and nationally.
“The death of any young person by knife violence is a terrible event, and we must all work together to stop this from ruining the lives of more young people.
“Jodie was not in the wrong place at the wrong time; she was simply living her life as a teenager should – carefree and with her friends.
“It is Ong-a-Kwie and his 17-year-old co-defendant who made the decision to take that from her and have devastated the lives of so many people who loved her.
“I’d also like to pay tribute to my team of fantastic officers.
“They have worked tirelessly around the clock, piecing together vital evidence to get justice for Jodie and her family.”
Jodie’s father Peter Chesney said in an impact statement:
“The murder of my beloved daughter has destroyed my life and the full extent as to how this has affected my family and me cannot possibly be explained simply in words.
“I have no idea how I am going to continue with my life or even come to terms with the loss.”
Jodie’s sister Lucy said:
“I am only 20 years old, and already I am dreading my life rather than looking forward to it.
“Jodie was not only my sister she was my best friend. Losing her is like losing half of myself.
“We went through everything together, and she was always there for me and always putting everyone before herself.
“She gave me a type of love I will never feel again.
“I am anxious about everything: leaving the house, staying in the house, meeting people.
“If someone as good and pure as Jodie could be murdered, it could happen to anyone and I spend everywhere I go looking over my shoulder because of it.
“Jodie will be greatly missed, and the people who caused such tragedy to a whole family should hang their head in shame.
“You have ripped away a bright future that was destined to make a change to many lives.”
Our social media group is open to both the public and emergency services personnel.
We also cover stories which relate to the NHS, the armed forces and the security services.
Before you go...
We need your help. As former emergency services & armed forces personnel, we pride ourselves on bringing you important, fast-moving and breaking news stories & videos which are free from the negative bias which is often directed at the emergency services & NHS by some sections of the mainstream media.
One of the reasons we started 'Emergency Services News' back in 2018 was because we became tired of reading badly informed stories about the emergency services & NHS which seemed only ever to highlight negative aspects of the job.
We want to be the unheard voice of the remarkable men and women who serve in the emergency services, NHS and armed forces. And with around 500k page views each month, we are getting there!
As income from ads, the mainstay source of income for most publishers, continues to decline; we need the help of you, our readers.
You can support emergency services news from as little as £1. It only takes a minute. Every contribution, however big or small, is vital for our future.
Please help us to continue to highlight the life-saving work of the emergency services, NHS and armed forces by becoming a supporter.