Two Metropolitan police 999 response team officers have been injured after being attacked by a group of males on an east London street.
The home secretary has described the incident as a “disgusting, violent attack”.
The response team officers had been flagged down by a member of the public who was asking for help after allegedly being the victim of an assault.
The two officers exited their patrol vehicle and attempted to try and locate the suspect(s) involved in the assault.
A video uploaded to social media shows a male who was struggling with officers as they attempted to detain him in relation to their enquiries regarding the alleged assault.
The male suspect and male officer fell to the ground, at which point other males then start to attack the officer who is laying on the ground, as well as his female colleague.
At one point, a male runs towards the group armed with a baseball bat, but it is not known if the male armed with the baseball bat was trying to assist the officers or the suspects.
As the incident unfolded, several members of the public shamefully start to laugh as they film the event.
At one point, a male even ‘dances’ in front of the officers as he tries to take a selfie with the violent scenes in the background.
As one of the officers continues to restrain the male who they had initially tried to speak to, a large male kicks the officer in the back.
Both officers were injured in the incident that unfolded on the streets of Hackney at around 15:30 hours on Wednesday.
After a short while, additional units arrived at the scene, and the suspects were all taken into custody.
The Mayor of Hackney tweeted:
“Anyone seeing these videos tonight will be as shocked & horrified as I am by this attack on two Hackney police officers.
“My thoughts are with both officers & praise their bravery when faced with this situation. Our police are here to protect us & scenes like this are unacceptable”.
Ken Marsh, Chairman of the Metropolitan Police Federation, said:
“We are aware of a video circulating on social media this evening of a disgraceful attack on our colleagues from multiple individuals earlier today.
“Yet again this starkly shows the dangers @metpoliceuk
face and the bravery they show each and every day keeping Londoners safe.
“On this occasion, our colleagues are thankfully only reporting minor injuries – but the reality is it could have been much worse.
“We are not society’s punchbags.
“We have families we want to go home to at the end of every shift. But the dangers are stark. And seemingly escalating.
“Police officers in this country are performing heroic acts day in and day out. Under extremely trying conditions. But we do not hear about that. We call on all – politicians, public and the media – to support policing at this difficult time and back our brave officers”.
Home Secretary Priti Patel said:
“Sickening, shocking and disgraceful.
“My thoughts are with the outstanding @metpoliceuk officers who were subject to this disgusting, violent attack”.
Police Federation Chair, John Apter, added:
“Horrific, stomach churning scenes.
“Disgusting behaviour from those who attack the officers, those who film what’s going on and those who do nothing.
“They are cowards, the lot of them. As for my colleagues, I stand with you, and so do the vast majority of the public”.
This latest act of violence towards the police comes following a weekend of violent assaults inflicted upon officers, with over 40 officers being assaulted in London alone during violent protests.
Can you help?
We need your help to ensure that we can continue to bring you the stories, blogs and videos which matter.
One of our many aims is to act as a voice for the emergency services, armed forces and healthcare sector.
But with ad income continually fluctuating, we need your help so that we can carry on bringing you the stories which many sections of the mainstream media choose to ignore.
You can pledge a one-off payment, a monthly payment or a yearly amount by merely clicking on the ‘donate’ (Paypal) button below.
TODAY’S TOP VIDEO:
Before you go...
We need your help. As former emergency services & armed forces personnel, we pride ourselves on bringing you important, fast-moving and breaking news stories which are free from the negative bias which is often directed at the emergency services by some sections of the mainstream media.
One of the reasons we started 'Emergency Services News' was because we became tired of reading badly informed stories about the emergency services which seemed only ever to highlight negative aspects of the job.
We want to be the unheard voice of the remarkable men and women who serve in the emergency services, NHS and armed forces. And with around 500k page views each month, we are getting there!
As income from ads, the mainstay source of income for most publishers, continues to decline; we need the help of our readers.
And remember, if you have a service, product or job vacancy that you would like to promote to our large readership, then you can buy advertising space in our articles.
You can support emergency services news from as little as £1. It only takes a minute. Every contribution, however big or small, is vital for our future.
Please help us to continue to highlight the life-saving work of the emergency services, NHS and armed forces by becoming a supporter.