Two dogs have been rescued from a first floor flat after they inadvertently started a fire.
Essex Fire & Rescue Service were called to the property in Crown Street, Dedham, Essex, after a neighbour reported that he heard the smoke alarm sounding for ‘some time’.
On arrival at the scene, firefighters forced their way into the property, as the homeowner was out at the time, and reported that the kitchen was heavily smoke logged and there was a smouldering fire on the hob.
Crews then rescued the two dogs from the kitchen and extinguished the fire at around 20:10 hours.
According to the Service, the cause of the fire has been recorded as accidental and started after the hob was turned on and set alight to a bin which had been placed on top of it, out of the way of the dogs.
Watch Manager Stephen Smith, Colchester Fire Station said:
‘Always keep your cooker and hob area clear – even if you’re not intending to turn it on – there’s always a chance it can get accidentally turned on.
‘Thankfully, in this case, the contents of the bin was not particularly flammable, meaning the fire did not spread quickly and instead turned into a slow smouldering fire”.
As the kitchen door was closed the smoke damage was contained to the kitchen.
Watch Manager Smith added:
‘Although the smoke alarm had been sounding for some time the neighbour had assumed that it was a false alarm.
‘It wasn’t until the neighbour went out, came back and realised the alarm was still going off that he called the fire service out.
‘We always urge people to take note of their neighbours smoke alarm – if you hear it, give them a knock and check that everything is ok.
‘Some smoke alarms can warn us, and others around us, of the first sign of fire and should always be taken seriously.’
Got a story, video or one-off blog that you would like to share with us?
You can contact our team of former emergency services & armed forces personnel either through our Facebook page, via Twitter ( @ES_News_ ) or you can contact us via email: email@example.com or call us on: 0115 888 0592
If you run or manage a ‘job’ social media account and you would like us to share one of your stories then send us a tweet or a message!
If you would like to write an article that you would like us to share (it can be about anything to do with the emergency services / NHS) whether you serve in the emergency services / NHS or whether you are a member of the public who has had a good experience with the emergency services, then feel free to contact our team; anonymously if you prefer.
We are proud to act as a voice for the emergency services, armed forces & health service, with over 500,000 people visiting our website each month.