Hampshire Police has confirmed, on behalf of the CPS, that the seven men who ‘hijacked’ an oil tanker off the south coast of England will face no further action.
On 25th October, UK special forces stormed the Nave Andromeda after the ship’s crew issued a mayday call, reporting that seven stowaways on board the vessel had become ‘aggressive’.
In a special operation that lasted only a few minutes, elite soldiers from the SBS quickly subdued and detained the stowaways before handing them over to Hampshire Police.
Matthew Okorie, 25 and Sunday Sylvester, 22, had been charged with conduct endangering ships under S.58 Merchant Shipping Act 1995
But the CPS said that all charges had been dropped after ‘additional evidence came to light as part of the investigation’.
Hampshire Constabulary said the five other men, who were arrested on suspicion of seizing or exercising control of a ship by use of threats or force, also face no further police action.
The 748ft-long tanker had left Lagos in Nigeria on 5th October bound for Southampton.
After 20 days at sea, it approached the Isle of Wight.
As the vessel neared land, a crew member found the stowaways who allegedly started to threaten the crew.
The crew locked themselves in a secure area onboard the ship and issued a Mayday call that was picked up by HM Coastguard.
At the time the Ministry of Defence called the incident a “suspected hijacking” and said Defence Secretary Ben Wallace and Home Secretary Priti Patel authorised a special forces operation in response to the police request.
Under the cover of darkness, elite commandos risked their own lives as they launched an operation that lasted under ten minutes.
Footage released at the time showed the special forces fast-roping onto the ship’s deck as other commandos ascended the vessel via its beam.
Once onboard, the soldiers quickly located and detained the seven men, all believed to be Nigerian nationals.
Senior District Crown Prosecutor, Sophie Stevens, said:
“The CPS has a duty to keep all cases under continuous review and after additional maritime expert evidence came to light, we concluded there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction and discontinued the case.”
Hampshire Police confirmed that the seven males ‘will remain detained under immigration powers in accordance with published processes’.
Stay up-to-date with more news from the front line by subscribing to our free newsletter. Subscribe by clicking HERE.
Before you go...
We need your help. As former emergency services & armed forces personnel, we pride ourselves on bringing you important, fast-moving and breaking news stories which are free from the negative bias which is often directed at the emergency services by some sections of the mainstream media.
One of the reasons we started 'Emergency Services News' was because we became tired of reading badly informed stories about the emergency services which seemed only ever to highlight negative aspects of the job.
We want to be the unheard voice of the remarkable men and women who serve in the emergency services, NHS and armed forces. And with around 500k page views each month, we are getting there!
As income from ads, the mainstay source of income for most publishers, continues to decline; we need the help of our readers.
And remember, if you have a service, product or job vacancy that you would like to promote to our large readership, then you can buy advertising space in our articles.
You can support emergency services news from as little as £1. It only takes a minute. Every contribution, however big or small, is vital for our future.
Please help us to continue to highlight the life-saving work of the emergency services, NHS and armed forces by becoming a supporter.