A registered terrorist has been sent back to prison after he breached the conditions of his licence by having a moped.
Trevor Mulindwa, 25, from south-west London, was released from prison in June 2018.
He is subject to a 15-year-long Part 4 Counter-Terrorism Act notification order that prohibits Mulindwa from engaging in certain activities and from owning certain items.
Under the conditions of the notification order, Mulindwa had to tell officers if he took possession of a motor vehicle.
The condition aims to, in part, ensure that the security services can continue to monitor Mulindwa’s activities; which is often the case with convicted terrorists.
However, on 13th November police identified that Mulindwa had become the owner of a moped that he had not told them about.
On the day that officers became aware of the moped, they seized it.
The following day, Mulindwa was arrested at his home address where the keys to the motorbike were also found.
Officers searched the moped and found that Mulindwa had hidden an internet-ready smartphone that had been locked in the top box. By having the phone, Mulindwa was also in breach of his probation licence.
He was immediately recalled back to prison.
On 12th May 2020, he was charged via postal charge requisition with breach of a Part 4 Counter Terrorism Act 2008 notification requirement.
On Friday 22nd May 2020, Mulindwa appeared at Westminster Magistrates’ Court where he pleaded guilty to the offence.
The judge sentenced him to eight weeks’ imprisonment and ordered him to pay a £122 victim surcharge.
On 22nd December 2015, Mulindwa was sentenced to six years’ imprisonment for preparing for an act of terrorism, contrary to the Terrorism Act 2006.
The Security Services had proved that Mulindwa was preparing to travel to Somalia to join Al-Shabaab, which is a proscribed organisation.
Commander Richard Smith, head of the Met Police Counter Terrorism Command, said:
“There are clear rules for registered terrorist offenders who are subject to notification orders, and Mulindwa broke one of them.
“Notification orders serve a serious purpose and are an important tool to help keep the public safe from harm.”
TODAY’S TOP VIDEO
Before you go...
We need your help. As former emergency services & armed forces personnel, we pride ourselves on bringing you important, fast-moving and breaking news stories which are free from the negative bias which is often directed at the emergency services by some sections of the mainstream media.
One of the reasons we started 'Emergency Services News' was because we became tired of reading badly informed stories about the emergency services which seemed only ever to highlight negative aspects of the job.
We want to be the unheard voice of the remarkable men and women who serve in the emergency services, NHS and armed forces. And with around 500k page views each month, we are getting there!
As income from ads, the mainstay source of income for most publishers, continues to decline; we need the help of our readers.
And remember, if you have a service, product or job vacancy that you would like to promote to our large readership, then you can buy advertising space in our articles.
You can support emergency services news from as little as £1. It only takes a minute. Every contribution, however big or small, is vital for our future.
Please help us to continue to highlight the life-saving work of the emergency services, NHS and armed forces by becoming a supporter.