The body of a baby boy was found in a private garden of a property in Victoria Quadrant, Weston-super-Mare on Saturday 12th December 2020 shortly before 09:00 hours.
Initially, Avon and Somerset police were treating the baby’s death as unexplained and had appealed to the public for information.
The force then released a statement to say it had located a woman who they believed to be the baby’s mother, and she had been taken immediately to a hospital for expert medical attention and support.
Yesterday, the force released a further statement which said that the Major Crime Investigation Team was now handling the investigation after ‘significant developments’.
Senior Investigating Officer Det Ch Insp James Riccio said:
“Due to significant developments in this investigation, I can confirm we’re now treating the baby’s death as a potential homicide. A man and a woman have been arrested, and they are in custody for questioning.
“A forensic post-mortem examination will be held later this week, but we don’t anticipate any conclusive results for some time.
“I know this development will cause concern in the local community, particularly in light of the tragic circumstances, but I would stress that while this is being treated as a potential homicide, we are keeping an open mind and will always be led by the evidence.
“We’ve been heartened by the wholly supportive response from the Weston-super-Mare community over the past two days. Our neighbourhood team will be carrying out additional reassurance patrols of the affected area, so please stop an officer and speak to them if you have any worries or questions. We are here to help.”
Got a story, blog or video? Please email our team, in complete confidence, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CLICK HERE to follow us on Twitter for more news, blogs and videos.
Before you go...
We need your help. As former emergency services & armed forces personnel, we pride ourselves on bringing you important, fast-moving and breaking news stories which are free from the negative bias which is often directed at the emergency services by some sections of the mainstream media.
One of the reasons we started 'Emergency Services News' was because we became tired of reading badly informed stories about the emergency services which seemed only ever to highlight negative aspects of the job.
We want to be the unheard voice of the remarkable men and women who serve in the emergency services, NHS and armed forces. And with around 500k page views each month, we are getting there!
As income from ads, the mainstay source of income for most publishers, continues to decline; we need the help of our readers.
And remember, if you have a service, product or job vacancy that you would like to promote to our large readership, then you can buy advertising space in our articles.
You can support emergency services news from as little as £1. It only takes a minute. Every contribution, however big or small, is vital for our future.
Please help us to continue to highlight the life-saving work of the emergency services, NHS and armed forces by becoming a supporter.