The Metropolitan Police has released a statement after footage appeared on social media of a veteran falling to the ground after being pushed by two police officers in Whitehall.
In the footage, the male, who was playing some bagpipes, can be seen walking alongside a police line that had been put in place to restrict access to the Cenotaph during Sunday’s Remembrance Day parade.
Owing to the current COVID restrictions, access to the area was limited until after the official ceremony.
As the male played the bagpipes, he made an immediate left turn; directly into the line of officers who were maintaining the outer cordon.
In the footage, two officers appear to simultaneously push the male back from the line, causing him to take several steps back before he lost his footing and fell to the ground.
Other members of the crowd who had gathered to film the incident, immediately confronted the officers who had made contact with the male.
Once the male got back up to his feet, he also confronted the officers who had pushed him back.
A statement released by the Met Police said:
“Police are aware of a video circulating online which shows an officer using force after a man had tried to enter a restricted area in Whitehall SW1.
“The actions of the officer will be looked at in the wider context of this incident.
“The man had previously been asked to wait while the restricted area was opened up and he would be able to attend the Cenotaph.
“The road was closed off as the Remembrance Sunday event this year was a closed ceremony due to Covid restrictions.
“The area was later opened up to members of the public.
“A man, aged 47, was arrested on suspicion of common assault on an emergency worker. He was taken into police custody and subsequently released under investigation”.
Another video has emerged on Twitter, which appears to show the same male having a conversation with a videographer about the incident.
In the video, the man who tried to break through the police line can be heard talking about the encounter.
The piper, who Emergency Services News understands served in the Scots Guards, said that he walked into the Officer ‘deliberately’ in order to get a reaction.
To stay up-to-date with more news relating to the frontline work of the emergency services, then remember to follow us on Twitter.
Got a story? please email our team: firstname.lastname@example.org
BEFORE YOU GO – we have negotiated a fantastic deal from our partners at ‘Blue Light Insurance’ (see below) exclusively for Emergency Services News readers – limited time only.
Before you go...
We need your help. As former emergency services & armed forces personnel, we pride ourselves on bringing you important, fast-moving and breaking news stories which are free from the negative bias which is often directed at the emergency services by some sections of the mainstream media.
One of the reasons we started 'Emergency Services News' was because we became tired of reading badly informed stories about the emergency services which seemed only ever to highlight negative aspects of the job.
We want to be the unheard voice of the remarkable men and women who serve in the emergency services, NHS and armed forces. And with around 500k page views each month, we are getting there!
As income from ads, the mainstay source of income for most publishers, continues to decline; we need the help of our readers.
And remember, if you have a service, product or job vacancy that you would like to promote to our large readership, then you can buy advertising space in our articles.
You can support emergency services news from as little as £1. It only takes a minute. Every contribution, however big or small, is vital for our future.
Please help us to continue to highlight the life-saving work of the emergency services, NHS and armed forces by becoming a supporter.