A man has been convicted of rape after a teenager was attacked in north London.
Deangelo Brown, 23, of Bank Close, Luton, was found guilty at Harrow Crown Court on Tuesday 15th September of rape and sexual activity with a child.
Brown will be sentenced at the same court on Tuesday, 3 November.
Detectives from the Metropolitan Police launched an investigation after a 15-year-old girl said that she had been raped near Harlesden High Street in Brent on the morning of Tuesday, 10th March.
The court heard how Brown approached her as she stood on her own at a bus stop. After Brown asked her how old she was, he demanded that she follow him.
As the girl feared for her safety, she followed Brown into an alleyway where she was attacked.
A member of the public witnessed the attack and came to the teenager’s aid. Brown left the scene as the member of the public walked the girl to Harlesden police station where the sexual assault was reported to officers.
Brown’s description was immediately circulated to nearby police patrol units, and it was not long before officers arrested Brown as he tried to leave the area.
The teenage girl was taken to a support and medical centre, known as a ‘Haven’ and was given specialist support by specially trained officers.
Detective Constable Samantha Wilton, from the North West BCU, said:
“I would like to take this opportunity to praise the bravery and composure shown by this young girl after experiencing a horrifying ordeal.
“The impact of that morning simply cannot be forgotten. Brown is a dangerous predator who has rightly been found guilty.
“I would also like to thank the person who helped the victim and kindly escorted her to the police station so that she wouldn’t be alone.
“I would urge anyone who has been the victim of a sexual offence to contact police and report it so that we can bring those responsible before the courts.”
Information on where you can find medical help, support and advice, plus how to report rape or sexual assault can be found on the Met’s website
Before you go...
We need your help. As former emergency services & armed forces personnel, we pride ourselves on bringing you important, fast-moving and breaking news stories which are free from the negative bias which is often directed at the emergency services by some sections of the mainstream media.
One of the reasons we started 'Emergency Services News' was because we became tired of reading badly informed stories about the emergency services which seemed only ever to highlight negative aspects of the job.
We want to be the unheard voice of the remarkable men and women who serve in the emergency services, NHS and armed forces. And with around 500k page views each month, we are getting there!
As income from ads, the mainstay source of income for most publishers, continues to decline; we need the help of our readers.
And remember, if you have a service, product or job vacancy that you would like to promote to our large readership, then you can buy advertising space in our articles.
You can support emergency services news from as little as £1. It only takes a minute. Every contribution, however big or small, is vital for our future.
Please help us to continue to highlight the life-saving work of the emergency services, NHS and armed forces by becoming a supporter.