A man has been arrested after a vehicle was stolen in Island Road, Birmingham, with a six-year-old child in the back.
The incident happened on Sunday, 5th November, when a thief noticed an unattended vehicle.
The stolen car was abandoned at the junction of Brosil Avenue and Grestone Avenue around 15 minutes after it was taken.
The child was discovered sitting in the back of the car.
Thankfully, the child was not injured and came to no harm, despite the thief making off from the scene and then leaving the child in the back of the car as he fled.
A post that was published on X by WMP Traffic said:
‘We attended a report of a car being stolen from Handsworth with a 6-year-old child still on board.
‘The car was quickly found abandoned with the child safely still inside, and we then arrested one of the suspected offenders running from the scene.’
A spokesperson for West Midlands Police confirmed that a 20-year-old male was arrested on suspicion of theft of a motor vehicle and that he has since been released on police bail.
The spokesperson added that the child was not harmed and has been reunited with their family.
Car owners are encouraged to take proactive measures to secure their vehicles. Products available on Amazon have proven to be effective in deterring car thieves:
- Stoplock Pro Elite Car Steering Wheel Lock: A sturdy lock that clamps onto the steering wheel, acting as a visible deterrent with its bright yellow colour and secure double locking mechanism.
- Mengshen Wireless Vibration Alarm: An alarm system activated by vibration that can alert owners to potential theft attempts with a loud siren, controllable by remote.
- Samfolk Faraday Box for Car Keys: A signal-blocking box that prevents thieves from intercepting the signal from car key fobs, thereby foiling relay attacks.
- Tevlaphee Steering Wheel Lock for Cars: This bright yellow, durable steel lock adds another layer of security and serves as a visual deterrent to potential thieves.
- Gadlane Twin Bar Steering Wheel Lock: It locks both the steering wheel and the brake pedal, offering dual protection and is straightforward to fit and remove.
Disclaimer: Emergency Services News participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. We may earn a small commission for qualifying purchases made through our recommended links.
Join our WhatsApp community!
ESN is now on WhatsApp, and we want you to join our communities.
To join, you need to have WhatsApp on your device. All you need to do is click the link and press 'Join community'.
No one will be able to see who is signed up, and no one can send messages except the ESN team.
Joining our WhatsApp channel is a great way to help support our work and best of all, it is free!
If you don't like our community, you can check out any time you like. To leave our community, click on the name at the top of your screen and choose 'exit group'.