The Met Police Counter Terrorism Command is leading a detailed investigation into several suspicious items which were found at an address in Suffolk.
A man previously arrested by Suffolk Constabulary on suspicion of a firearms offence has been further arrested on suspicion of a terrorism offence.
On Sunday 28th July, officers from Suffolk Constabulary carried out a pre-planned operation at a property on Normanhurst Close in Lowestoft, Suffolk.
Officers searched the address and recovered two military grenades and a firearm.
Officers arrested a 59-year-old man from Suffolk on suspicion of possession of a firearm at approximately 12.10hrs on 28th July.
The grenades were assessed by specially trained officers and were found to be inert.
The police also believe that the firearm that was found at the address is an imitation firearm.
Met Counter Terrorism officers were called by Suffolk Police to assist, as several unknown chemicals were also found at the address.
As a result of what was found at the property, the male in question was further arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the commission, preparation and instigation of acts of terrorism.
He has been detained under Section 41 of the Terrorism Act, 2000 and is currently in custody at a Suffolk police station.
As a precautionary measure, police cordoned off the area surrounding the address and evacuated three neighbouring properties while the property was searched.
A 100-metre cordon was lifted yesterday evening while a much smaller cordon remains on the property and the neighbouring properties remain evacuated.
Detective Chief Superintendent Alexis Boon, of the Met Police Counter Terrorism Command, said:
“After a pre-planned operation by Suffolk Constabulary in which officers arrested a man, the Met Police Counter Terrorism Command is now leading this investigation, working closely with police in Suffolk.
“Suffolk Constabulary acted quickly to make the area safe, including erecting a cordon around the address as a precautionary measure while enquiries are ongoing; however, we have found nothing to suggest an ongoing threat to the public.
“I would like to thank the community for its understanding and patience while officers continue this work.
“Local officers from Suffolk Constabulary Safer Neighbourhood Teams will remain at the scene over the coming days to continue to provide reassurance.”
Police have said that enquiries are ongoing.