A teenager who was captured on dash cam footage attacking a driver with a large ‘zombie style’ knife in rush hour traffic was finally dealt with by the Courts yesterday (28th)
Joshua Gardner, 18 [09.07.00] of London Road, Croydon was convicted previously on Thursday, 22 November of attempting to cause grievous bodily harm with intent – and had previously pleaded guilty on 7 June to affray and possession of an offensive weapon in a public place.
He received the following ‘sentences’, suspended for a period of two years, and all to run concurrently:
– Grievous bodily harm – two years’ imprisonment;
– Affray – 12 months’ imprisonment;
– Possession of an offensive weapon/bladed article – 12 months’ imprisonment.
He was also ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work, and will be subject to a curfew for nine months requiring him to stay with his mother.
The court heard that on 30 May at around 16:00 hours a 19-year old man was sat in his car in stationary traffic in London Road, Croydon, when Gardener, who was aged 17 at the time, pulled up alongside him on a bike.
Upon seeing Gardner the man tried to pull away and attempted to overtake the stationary traffic in front of him and, as he did so he almost made contact with Gardner’s push bike.
He then drove on the wrong side of the road in an attempt to get away and crashed into an oncoming vehicle and a van.
This led to Gardner abandoning his push bike and running towards the man’s car, producing a large ‘zombie’ style knife which he had taken from the right hand side of his trouser waistband.
Gardner then hit the rear driver’s side door of the car with the knife repeatedly.
Gardner attempted to gain access to the car by pulling at the rear driver’s side door and then went round to the nearside of the vehicle.
He continued to aim kicks and knife blows at the car, hitting the front passenger window with the blade, smashing it, and causing the man to exit his vehicle in a panic and flee down the road.
The incident was witnessed by several members of the public, with Gardner’s outburst of violence caught on the dash-cam footage of a vehicle that was travelling in the opposite direction.
These images, which were widely circulated in the media, led to Gardner being identified and caught – thanks to a eagle-eyed police officer coming forward who had recognised Gardner due to a previous conviction for attempted robbery.
Arrest enquiries were conducted and on Monday, 4 June Gardner was arrested at an address in Thornton Heath. He was taken to a south London police station where he gave a no comment interview.
On, Tuesday 5 June Gardner was charged with affray, possession of an offensive weapon and attempting to cause grievous bodily harm with intent.
Judge Anuja Dhir QC told the teenager the “extremely serious” incident warranted a jail sentence, but she was setting him free because he has “a realistic prospect of rehabilitation”.
Judge Dhir continued:
“I can see your mother in the public gallery and she is aware I was considering these requirements and appreciates what it means”, said the judge.
“Given all that I have seen, heard and read about you, I think this sentence offers protection to the public and punishment by way of a curfew and the unpaid work, but also it provides you with an opportunity to address your offending behaviour.”
At a time when the scourge of knife crime is at the highest it has been for a long time, many will question the outcome of the sentencing in this case.
If you have a story or one-off blog that you would like to share with us, then you can contact our team of former emergency services personnel either through our Facebook page, via twitter ( @ES_News_ ) or you can contact us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Before you go...
We need your help. As former emergency services & armed forces personnel, we pride ourselves on bringing you important, fast-moving and breaking news stories & videos which are free from the negative bias which is often directed at the emergency services & NHS by some sections of the mainstream media.
One of the reasons we started 'Emergency Services News' back in 2018 was because we became tired of reading badly informed stories about the emergency services & NHS which seemed only ever to highlight negative aspects of the job.
We want to be the unheard voice of the remarkable men and women who serve in the emergency services, NHS and armed forces. And with around 500k page views each month, we are getting there!
As income from ads, the mainstay source of income for most publishers, continues to decline; we need the help of you, our readers.
You can support emergency services news from as little as £1. It only takes a minute. Every contribution, however big or small, is vital for our future.
Please help us to continue to highlight the life-saving work of the emergency services, NHS and armed forces by becoming a supporter.