The Independent Office For Police Conduct (IOPC) has acted to quell rumours which have been, in part, shared in the mainstream media that 31-year-old Sea Fitzgerald was ‘shot in the back’ by Police during a recent pre-planned operation by West Midlands Police.
Many senior figures within the policing community, including Police Federation Boss John Apter, have commended the IOPC for acting so swiftly in order to stamp out rumours such as this.
In a tweet shared on the IOPC Twitter page, a spokesperson said:
“Our investigation into a fatal @WMPolice shooting in Coventry continues.
“The man who died was 31-year-old Sean Fitzgerald.
“Contrary to reports, based on the evidence we have so far (including body worn video) there is no indication he was shot in the back.”
In an update, a spokesperson for West Midlands Police confirmed:
‘West Midlands Police is continuing to assist an Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) investigation into an armed operation in Coventry.
‘A 31-year-old man was shot dead by firearms police during the intelligence-led operation in Burnaby Road at around 6.20pm on Friday (4 January).
‘This is being investigated by the IOPC who have said based on the evidence received so far, including body worn footage – and contrary to reports – there is no indication the man was shot in the back.
‘Police have bailed a 26-year-old man arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the production of cannabis and released another man, also 26, under investigation as enquiries continue.’
If you have a story, video or one-off blog that you would like to share with us, then you can contact our team of former emergency services & armed forces personnel either through our Facebook page, via twitter ( @ES_News_ ) or you can contact us via email: email@example.com
If you run or manage a ‘job’ social media account and you would like us to share one of your stories then send us a tweet or a message!
If you would like to write an article that you would like us to share (it can be about anything to do with the emergency services / NHS) whether you serve in the emergency services / NHS or whether you are a member of the public that has had a good experience with the emergency services, then feel free to contact our team; anonymously if you prefer.
We are proud to act as a voice for the Emergency Services & Health Service, with over 500,000 people visiting our website each month.
Before you go...
WE NEED YOUR HELP.Here at Emergency Services News, we aim to tell you stories that the mainstream media are not interested in reporting. Whilst the MSM love to berate and ridicule the emergency services, who is there to report on the realities of serving on the front line?
Emergency Services News is currently a loss-making entity. But our team of volunteers, all former emergency services personnel, do not do it for the money.
We do it because we are sick and tired of the mainstream media constantly trying to undermine the men and women who put their lives on the line to keep you and your family safe.
How many MSM journalists who speak ill of the emergency services have actually dared to don the uniform and risk their own lives to save the life of a complete stranger? If you would like to help back our mission of reporting on fact-based news, then please consider helping to support us financially.
You can support emergency services news from as little as £1. It only takes a minute. Every contribution, however big or small, is vital for our future.
Please help us to continue to highlight the life-saving work of the emergency services, NHS and armed forces by becoming a supporter.