Greater Manchester Police (GMP) has released a statement after video footage of a male appearing to resist being arrested was shared online.
Officers had been called to a cafe that was breaching current Covid restrictions with reports of between ’50 and 60′ people inside the ‘Kate & Luc Cafe’ on Burnage Lane, Manchester, having sit-down meals on Sunday 7th Feb.
A spokesperson for GMP said:
‘GMP is aware of a video circulating online involving a man who appears to be struck by a police officer.
‘This incident happened whilst a 38-year-old man was being arrested on suspicion of assault of an emergency worker and resisting arrest.
‘Police were responding to reports of non-compliance with Covid-19 restrictions by a cafe on Burnage Lane in Manchester.
‘Officers attended and in line with procedure, attempted to engage with individuals and disperse attendees.
‘This resulted in an officer being assaulted.
‘GMP are aware of the footage circulating online and are continuing to assess all the circumstances of the incident, including this footage as well as other footage obtained, at what remains an early stage in the investigation.
‘An officer sustained injuries but did not require hospital treatment.
’14 fixed penalty notices have so far been issued to those in attendance’.
Speaking earlier about the incident, one witness told reporters:
‘They’ve been open for takeaways, but recently we’ve seen people sitting inside. Today (Sunday 7th Feb) there were about 50 or 60 people inside and outside.
‘No-one was wearing a mask. It was like they were protesting [against the lockdown].
The cafe’s proprietors have been open about their defiance of lockdown restrictions and have frequently posted on social media about ‘operating as normal’.
They have previously shared pictures of a £1,000 fine they had received from Manchester City Council earlier in the month for breaching Covid restrictions.
Back in August, they wrote: ‘Hi everyone, the Covid-19 propaganda doesn’t apply to our shop. We are open as usual. No muzzle needed when you get here.’
Stay up-to-date with more news from the front line by subscribing to our free newsletter. Subscribe by clicking HERE.
Before you go...
WE NEED YOUR HELP.Here at Emergency Services News, we aim to tell you stories that the mainstream media are not interested in reporting. Whilst the MSM love to berate and ridicule the emergency services, who is there to report on the realities of serving on the front line?
Emergency Services News is currently a loss-making entity. But our team of volunteers, all former emergency services personnel, do not do it for the money.
We do it because we are sick and tired of the mainstream media constantly trying to undermine the men and women who put their lives on the line to keep you and your family safe.
How many MSM journalists who speak ill of the emergency services have actually dared to don the uniform and risk their own lives to save the life of a complete stranger? If you would like to help back our mission of reporting on fact-based news, then please consider helping to support us financially.
You can support emergency services news from as little as £1. It only takes a minute. Every contribution, however big or small, is vital for our future.
Please help us to continue to highlight the life-saving work of the emergency services, NHS and armed forces by becoming a supporter.