Chloe Keogan, from Witton Gilbert, was taking part in a charity bag pack at Consett B & M bargains in December when one of her buckets containing a sum of money went missing from the checkout.
The 15-year-old, who is a member of 1st Framwellgate Moor Scout group, hopes to travel to West Virginia to attend the 24th World Scout Jamboree in July with the money raised.
She said: “I have a huge sum of over £3,500 to raise for my trip to America and have been fundraising since 2017, carrying out odd jobs like babysitting.
“When I found out that someone had stolen my bucket I was so disappointed, I found it so disrespectful that someone would steal from a young girl without any feeling of guilt.”
Katy, Chloe’s mum, was overseeing the event at the store when the charitable donations went missing and with help from staff immediately reported the theft to the police.
After hearing about the theft, a number of local officers organised a collection to contribute towards Chloe’s fundraising including donating money from the office tuck shop.
PC John Gordon, from Consett Neighbourhood Team, said:
“When we heard about Chloe’s money being stolen we immediately wanted to help her.
“To steal money from a young girl trying to fundraise is just despicable.
“A collection was organised by response officers, PC Carl Symes and PC Lee Jackson, to contribute to Chloe’s fundraising.
‘We’ve had a fantastic response and have raised over £50 so far.
“It’s been a real joint effort between neighbourhoods and response. We hope it helps Chloe reach her goal of going to America.”
“I felt really honoured that the officers went out of their way to help me raise my stolen funds, it was really overwhelming when I heard what they were doing and it was great to meet them face to face to express my gratitude towards them.”
A 38-year-old man from Consett has been charged with theft in connection with the incident.
He will appear at Newton Aycliffe Magistrates’ Court on February 12.
If you have a story, video or one-off blog that you would like to share with us, then you can contact our team of former emergency services & armed forces personnel either through our Facebook page, via Twitter ( @ES_News_ ) or you can contact us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you run or manage a ‘job’ social media account and you would like us to share one of your stories then send us a tweet or a message!
If you would like to write an article that you would like us to share (it can be about anything to do with the emergency services / NHS) whether you serve in the emergency services / NHS or whether you are a member of the public who has had a good experience with the emergency services, then feel free to contact our team; anonymously if you prefer.
We are proud to act as a voice for the emergency services, armed forces & health service, with over 500,000 people visiting our website each month.
Before you go...
WE NEED YOUR HELP. As former emergency services & armed forces personnel, we pride ourselves on bringing you important, fast-moving and breaking news stories & videos which are free from the negative 'anti' bias which is often directed at the emergency services & NHS by some sections of the mainstream media.
One of the reasons we started 'Emergency Services News' back in 2018 was because we became tired of reading badly informed stories about the emergency services.
We want to be the unheard voice of the remarkable men and women who serve in the emergency services, NHS and armed forces. And with around 500k page views each month, we are getting there!
As income from ads, the mainstay source of income for most publishers, continues to decline; we need the help of you, our readers.
You can support emergency services news from as little as £1. It only takes a minute. Every contribution, however big or small, is vital for our future.
Please help us to continue to highlight the life-saving work of the emergency services, NHS and armed forces by becoming a supporter.