Detectives in Los Angeles who are investigating the attempted murder of two of their officers have charged a man.
The two officers, one a female the other a male, were sat in their patrol vehicle when a man ran up to their window and shot them several times before running away and leaving the officers for dead.
Miraculously, both officers survived despite being shot in the head, torso and arm. They have both been discharged from hospital but now face months of on-going treatment, including reconstructive surgery.
After both being shot, the officers were able to exit their vehicle and call for back-up. Owing to the injuries to her face, the female officer was not able to speak properly as she tried to radio for help.
Despite her severe injuries, the female officer also saved her colleagues life by using a tourniquet on his wounds which prevented him from bleeding to death.
Prosecutors confirmed that Deonte Lee Murray, 36, a local gang member, was already in custody for unrelated carjacking charges when informants provided officers with information regarding his involvement in the shooting.
Footage of the brutal attack, which was described by police as an ambush, caused an international outcry as a video of the two officers in the immediate aftermath of the shooting was shared on social media.
In a statement, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office said Deonte Lee Murray had been charged with two counts of attempted murder and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.
He had been in custody since his arrest on 15 September for the carjacking charges, the statement said. The shooting took place on 12th September.
Following Wednesday’s court appearance, Mr Murray was remanded in prison with bail set at $6.15m (£4.7m) and is due back in court in November.
Neither officer has been named but have been described as a 31-year-old mother of one and a 24-year-old man.
Immediately after the incident, President Donald Trump shared footage of the incident and tweeted: “Animals that must be hit hard.” Mr Biden said that the “cold-blooded” shooting was unconscionable and “the perpetrator must be brought to justice”.
Can you help Emergency Services News?
Our mission is simple: To share fact-based stories about the emergency services and the life-saving work they do daily. Each member of our team has served in either the armed forces or emergency services.
We use our front-line experiences to help inform the general public about the realities of serving in the emergency services, armed forces and NHS.
But with ad income declining – owing to the pandemic – we need the help of our readers and supporters to keep bringing you fact-based stories which are free from the ‘anti’ narrative which is often projected by some sections of the mainstream media.
You can help us by making a one-off or reoccurring donation via Paypal. CLICK HERE to become a donor
We would like to thank you in advance for your continued support.
Before you go...
WE NEED YOUR HELP. As former emergency services & armed forces personnel, we pride ourselves on bringing you important, fast-moving and breaking news stories & videos which are free from the negative 'anti' bias which is often directed at the emergency services & NHS by some sections of the mainstream media.
One of the reasons we started 'Emergency Services News' back in 2018 was because we became tired of reading badly informed stories about the emergency services.
We want to be the unheard voice of the remarkable men and women who serve in the emergency services, NHS and armed forces. And with around 500k page views each month, we are getting there!
As income from ads, the mainstay source of income for most publishers, continues to decline; we need the help of you, our readers.
You can support emergency services news from as little as £1. It only takes a minute. Every contribution, however big or small, is vital for our future.
Please help us to continue to highlight the life-saving work of the emergency services, NHS and armed forces by becoming a supporter.