A man who fraudulently collected money from a mother and her daughter has been convicted following a four-year investigation.
Kevin Cole, 55, of Brookfields Avenue, Mitcham, who also goes by the name of ‘Peter Penfold’, was found guilty by a jury of two counts of fraud by false representation at the Inner London Crown Court on Tuesday 21st July.
The conviction follows a detailed four-year investigation by the Economic Crime Unit within the Met’s Central Specialists Crime Command.
The court heard that Cole had been contacted by an old school friend, the victim, on Facebook in 2016, where he falsely claimed to be a manager of a charity.
In reality, Cole had only worked for the charity as a volunteer collector and was only entitled to receive costs for travel and food, not to receive any further money.
Between February and March 2016, Cole told the vulnerable victim, who suffers from Multiple Sclerosis, that if she provided a ‘charitable donation’ of £300 to the charity, she would be eligible to receive a £30,000 home improvements grant.
The charity confirmed that it has never provided grants for home improvements.
The victim was given a fraudulent receipt in exchange for her £300 donation.
Cole then also befriended the victim’s daughter, who was aged 19 at the time.
He agreed to employ the daughter as his receptionist at a different charity if she left her place of employment and paid £100 for two sets of uniform.
She resigned from her place of work and was given a start date by Cole.
The charity she believed she was going to work for had closed two years previously.
Police interviewed Cole on 10th January 2017, where he replied mostly “no comment” to the majority of the questions put to him.
One response that he did provide was “You prove that I offered her anything, I haven’t written anything and I haven’t signed nothing. No comment”.
He was charged with two counts of fraud by false representation on 27th June 2017.
During the trial which started on Monday, 13th July it was revealed that Cole (aka Peter Penfold) also promotes himself as ‘The Banana Man’ – a persona he dressed up as to collect money for charity.
He also claimed he had collected £1.2 million for charity.
During the trial, despite having provided a ‘no comment’ response in interview, Kevin Cole admitted to being given the money by both the mother and daughter.
He also admitted in court to being arrested numerous times for fraud,
making the court aware of his 22 previous convictions.
Investigating officer, PC Carl Blissett said:
“I was disgusted that anyone could take £300 while promising to dramatically change someone’s life, knowing that it was no more than hot air.
“He used the names of former charities to entice the victims to supply him with funds, raising their hopes that they might vastly improve their circumstances.
“How Cole was able to sleep at night knowing what he had done to a vulnerable mother and daughter beggars belief and it is gratifying to know that he has been made to answer for his crimes.
“The mother’s hopes of a better life were dashed, and her daughter gave up her employment for a job that never existed – this clearly demonstrates how devious and self-serving Cole truly is.
“Whilst this was a long and drawn out investigation and court process, it was worth every hour invested. No one should have their hard earned cash taken away from them in this callous way and I hope this outcome serves as a message to anyone committing fraud that not only do we take these allegations seriously, but we will find those responsible and hold them to account.”
If you have a story you want to tell, or video you want to share, send it to Emergency Services News via email@example.com
Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter for more news, videos, blogs and stories: @ES_News_
Kevin Cole | Image credit: Met Police
Can you help Emergency Services News?
We when set our website up in November 2018, we had a straightforward mission: to bring our readers factual stories, which are free from negative bias but which are enriched with qualified experience.
Each member of our in-house team of writers has served in either the armed forces, emergency services or NHS.
This means that we can bring our readers not only the stories which matter but also stories without the negative spin.
But we cannot do this without your help. As ad revenue – the staple income of most publishers – continues to fluctuate, then we need the help of our supporters and readers more than ever.
Become a donor: You can make a one-off or reoccurring donation via Paypal. CLICK HERE to become a donor
We would like to thank you in advance for your continued support.
Before you go...
We need your help. As former emergency services & armed forces personnel, we pride ourselves on bringing you important, fast-moving and breaking news stories which are free from the negative bias which is often directed at the emergency services by some sections of the mainstream media.
One of the reasons we started 'Emergency Services News' was because we became tired of reading badly informed stories about the emergency services which seemed only ever to highlight negative aspects of the job.
We want to be the unheard voice of the remarkable men and women who serve in the emergency services, NHS and armed forces. And with around 500k page views each month, we are getting there!
As income from ads, the mainstay source of income for most publishers, continues to decline; we need the help of our readers.
And remember, if you have a service, product or job vacancy that you would like to promote to our large readership, then you can buy advertising space in our articles.
You can support emergency services news from as little as £1. It only takes a minute. Every contribution, however big or small, is vital for our future.
Please help us to continue to highlight the life-saving work of the emergency services, NHS and armed forces by becoming a supporter.