Four cowardly and cold-blooded murderers who fatally stabbed a 24-year-old NHS worker because he lived in south Newham have been sentenced to life imprisonment.
Mohammad Jalloh, 19, of Watt Street, Wapping, and Vagnei Colubali, 23, of Suffolk Road, Enfield, must each serve at least 27 years in jail for the murder of 24-year-old David Gomoh last year.
David Ture, 19, of Bloomsbury Street, Camden, was sentenced to at least 26 years while Alex Melaku, 18, of Bishopsdale, Telford, was handed a minimum of 21 years.
All four were convicted of murder at the Old Bailey on Wednesday, 11 August.
They were sentenced at the same court on Friday, 17 September.
The group stabbed David at least nine times as he walked down Freemasons Road, E16 while on the phone to his girlfriend on 26 April 2020.
He managed to stagger back to his home address where he collapsed on the ground outside.
Despite being given emergency surgery in the street, David died soon after arriving at hospital.
David was not involved in any gang but was targeted by the defendants because he lived in the wrong part of Newham and so was classed as a ‘rival’.
On the day of the murder, the four men armed themselves with knives and set out from a hotel in Stratford towards Canning Town in a stolen car fitted with false plates.
CCTV played in court showed that less than an hour before they set upon David, the defendants came across another man who they chased, carrying their weapons in their hands. Fortunately, he managed to outrun the group.
Cameras on board a bus then captured the car turning its lights off and stopping beside David, who turned to run as the doors to the vehicle opened.
The attack itself was also caught on CCTV.
His girlfriend, who he was speaking to at the time, heard a male voice ask ‘where are you from’ before the phone call ended.
Detectives from the Met’s Specialist Crime Command quickly began an investigation and the stolen car was found abandoned in Lincoln Road, E13, less than a mile from the scene of the fatal stabbing.
A pair of sunglasses were found on the back seat of the vehicle, with DNA evidence linking them to Mohammad Jalloh.
Another pair of sunglasses was recovered from the scene of the attack; DNA from the 17-year-old was found upon the left arm.
During a search of Ture’s address, a series of graphic drawings were located which appeared to depict the fatal stabbing.
Not only was the address of the murder identified but the clothing worn by the group was also shown.
David’s mum Marian said:
“David’s murder is without doubt the hardest thing my family and I have been through. It is something that no parent should ever go through. While this has been painful beyond words, I am beyond grateful to God that we have seen justice and the four men who took my son’s life have been found guilty.
“The family would like to thank all the first responders on the scene that fateful night; the media, the police, especially the investigating officers, who have worked so hard to secure justice for David Jason Junior Gomoh, who was such a charismatic, intelligent and focused young gentleman.
“Nothing will bring back a life that was so full of promise and hope, a life that was brutally taken away from us; but we are grateful that now we can begin to mourn and build a fitting legacy for David.”
Detective Chief Inspector Laurence Smith, who led the investigation, said:
“These four defendants carried out a senseless attack on a completely innocent man and there is absolutely no doubt that London is a safer place with them behind bars.
“Despite the significant evidence linking them to this crime, all four refused to admit to their actions meaning David’s family and friends had to sit through a trial and re-live the worst night of their lives.
“Our thoughts, as always, remain with them and we hope they can now begin to grieve for the loss of their son and brother.”
CLICK HERE to check out our most popular videos and social media groups.
Before you go...
We need your help. As former emergency services & armed forces personnel, we pride ourselves on bringing you important, fast-moving and breaking news stories which are free from the negative bias which is often directed at the emergency services by some sections of the mainstream media.
One of the reasons we started 'Emergency Services News' was because we became tired of reading badly informed stories about the emergency services which seemed only ever to highlight negative aspects of the job.
We want to be the unheard voice of the remarkable men and women who serve in the emergency services, NHS and armed forces. And with around 500k page views each month, we are getting there!
As income from ads, the mainstay source of income for most publishers, continues to decline; we need the help of our readers.
And remember, if you have a service, product or job vacancy that you would like to promote to our large readership, then you can buy advertising space in our articles.
You can support emergency services news from as little as £1. It only takes a minute. Every contribution, however big or small, is vital for our future.
Please help us to continue to highlight the life-saving work of the emergency services, NHS and armed forces by becoming a supporter.