A mother and her young child were led to safety by firefighters in the early hours of Wednesday morning, after a cooking fire at a flat in Salford.
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) crews from Stretford, Eccles and Irlam attended the incident in Argosy Way, Eccles at 12.37 am.
By the time firefighters arrived on the scene, the fire was out. But the thick toxic smoke in the property meant that firefighters – who were wearing breathing apparatus – searched the flat and found the pair before leading the mother and her son to safety.
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service crews were called to three further cooking-related incidents over 24 hours with firefighters first dealing with a chip pan fire in Stockport at 6 pm.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the fire and were on the scene for around an hour and 15 minutes.
Later that evening at 7.35 pm, three fire engines from Altrincham and Wythenshawe attended a fire at a terraced house in Hungerford Walk in Baguley. Again, crews were met with an unattended pan of food which had been left on a hob.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus dealt with the fire using a hose reel.
At 10.14 pm, three appliances from Oldham, Hollins and Chadderton attended Poplar Avenue in the Hollins area of Oldham. Plastic trays had been left on top of a hob which was turned on and had caused a large amount of acrid and toxic black smoke in the property.
A man and woman suffered from smoke inhalation and were given precautionary checks by North West Ambulance Service crews.
GMFRS’ Head of Prevention, Area Manager Paul Duggan, said:
“Due to the quick and professional work of our firefighters, these incidents didn’t result in any serious injuries for residents. But it’s a timely reminder for members of the public to think extra carefully when in the kitchen.
“If you haven’t already please ensure you have a working smoke alarm fitted on every floor of your home – they give you crucial time to escape if a fire did occur and could be what saves your life.”
“Most house fires that GMFRS is alerted to begin in the kitchen.
“It’s important to follow our safety advice, which can be found on our website, to ensure you are minimising any risks to help keep you and your family safe.”
If a pan does catch fire in your home, GMFRS safety advice is as follows:
- Don’t move the pan
- Never throw water or use a water fire extinguisher on a hot fat fire
- If it’s safe to do so – turn off the heat, but never lean over the pan to reach the controls
- Leave the kitchen, close the door behind you, tell everyone else in the home to get out and don’t go back inside for any reason
- Call 999
Before you go...
We need your help. As former emergency services & armed forces personnel, we pride ourselves on bringing you important, fast-moving and breaking news stories which are free from the negative bias which is often directed at the emergency services by some sections of the mainstream media.
One of the reasons we started 'Emergency Services News' was because we became tired of reading badly informed stories about the emergency services which seemed only ever to highlight negative aspects of the job.
We want to be the unheard voice of the remarkable men and women who serve in the emergency services, NHS and armed forces. And with around 500k page views each month, we are getting there!
As income from ads, the mainstay source of income for most publishers, continues to decline; we need the help of our readers.
And remember, if you have a service, product or job vacancy that you would like to promote to our large readership, then you can buy advertising space in our articles.
You can support emergency services news from as little as £1. It only takes a minute. Every contribution, however big or small, is vital for our future.
Please help us to continue to highlight the life-saving work of the emergency services, NHS and armed forces by becoming a supporter.