Firefighters from the London Fire Brigade have rescued a child and two adults from a fire at a house on Rugby Road in Dagenham.
Part of the ground floor of an end-of-terrace house was damaged by fire.
It is not known if the occupants of the property had smoke detectors installed in the house.
Station Officer Alan Furlong, who was at the scene, said:
“On the way to the fire, the Brigade’s 999 Control Officers gave vital fire survival guidance to three people who were inside the house on how to keep safe before we arrived.
“On arrival, we were faced with heavy smoke coming from the first floor of the house and could see three people at a first-floor bedroom window.
“We pitched a short extension ladder to the first floor and carried a child down the ladder to safety.
“Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus rescued a further man and a woman via the ladder.
“They were all taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service Crews.
“Crews worked incredibly hard to get the residents out of the building as quickly as possible.
“The house was very heavily smoke logged and we made sure that alternative accommodation was arranged for the family.”
The Brigade’s Fire Investigators believe the fire was caused by the failure of lithium-ion batteries within a laptop.
Lithium-ion batteries are found in many electrical devices such as tablets and phones.
A spokesperson for the LFB said: “It’s really important to charge them [Lithium-ions batteries] properly to reduce the risk of fire”.
The Brigade was called at 00:31, and the fire was under control by 0122.
Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Dagenham, Ilford and Barking fire stations attended the scene.
The LFB has issued the following fire safety tips for charging your device:
- Always use the charger that came with your phone, tablet, e-cigarette or mobile device.
- If you need to buy a replacement, always choose a branded, genuine product from a supplier you can trust. There are lots of fakes out there, and it can be difficult to spot the difference.
- Avoid storing, using or charging batteries at very high or low temperatures.
- Protect batteries against being damaged – that’s crushed, punctured or immersed in water.
- Don’t leave items continuously on charge after the charge cycle is complete – it’s best not to leave your phone plugged in overnight, for example.
- Never cover chargers or charging devices – that includes using your laptop power lead in bed.
To stay up-to-date with more news relating to the frontline work of the emergency services, then remember to follow us on Twitter.
Before you go...
We need your help. As former emergency services & armed forces personnel, we pride ourselves on bringing you important, fast-moving and breaking news stories which are free from the negative bias which is often directed at the emergency services by some sections of the mainstream media.
One of the reasons we started 'Emergency Services News' was because we became tired of reading badly informed stories about the emergency services which seemed only ever to highlight negative aspects of the job.
We want to be the unheard voice of the remarkable men and women who serve in the emergency services, NHS and armed forces. And with around 500k page views each month, we are getting there!
As income from ads, the mainstay source of income for most publishers, continues to decline; we need the help of our readers.
And remember, if you have a service, product or job vacancy that you would like to promote to our large readership, then you can buy advertising space in our articles.
You can support emergency services news from as little as £1. It only takes a minute. Every contribution, however big or small, is vital for our future.
Please help us to continue to highlight the life-saving work of the emergency services, NHS and armed forces by becoming a supporter.