Male Sent To Prison For Three Years After His Vehicle Struck A Police Officer
A man has been jailed after deliberately driving his car at and injuring a police officer in Ilford.
Nsimba Malungo, 29 (12.10.91), of no fixed address, was sentenced at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Friday, 16 October to a total of three years in prison after pleading guilty at an earlier hearing.
He was sentenced to two years’ imprisonment for ABH as well as being sentenced to 18 months’ imprisonment for dangerous driving (to run concurrently with the two-year sentence).
He was also sentenced to a further 12 month in prison for perverting the course of justice.
How The Police Officer Was Injured
The court heard how on Monday, 20 April officers from the Met’s Taskforce were on patrol in Ilford.
At the junction with the A12 and Ley Street in Ilford, the officers stopped a car that was being driven by Malungo.
As they approached the car, Malungo drove off, striking one of the officers and carrying him on the bonnet for a short distance.
After being flung from the vehicle, the officer sustained a head injury and was taken to hospital by emergency ambulance for treatment.
How The Vehicle Was Found
The details of the car were circulated over the radio, and it was located a short time later about a mile away in Ilford.
Officers established that the registered keeper of the car was Malungo.
As efforts were made to locate him, Malungo called the police and falsely claimed that his car had been stolen.
A friend of Malungo backed up this claim.
However, through a series of forensic work, including CCTV analysis officers, were able to disprove this.
Malungo was subsequently arrested on 28 April and charged the following day.
Statement By Senior Officers
Detective Sergeant Colin Stow of the East Area Command Unit led the investigation and said:
“This was a shocking incident which could have had devastating consequences for the officer involved.
“Malungo deliberately drove at the officer, using his car as a weapon, in an attempt to evade being detained.
“A diligent investigation took place which left Malungo with no option but to admit his guilt.”
North East Area Taskforce Chief Inspector Billy Bowen-Long, said:
“Day-in, day-out, officers from the Met’s Taskforce are out on the streets, operating in some of the most contentious and dynamic situations and often putting themselves in harm’s way.
“In this instance, it is only by sheer luck that this officer was not more seriously injured.
“However, despite being struck and carried by the car, and being hospitalised, he was back at work the following week – a testament to the commitment and drive our Taskforce officers have to keep Londoners safe.
“The team that dealt with this incident have been rightly recognised for their bravery and commitment and have been awarded a commendation.”
Before you go...
We need your help. As former emergency services & armed forces personnel, we pride ourselves on bringing you important, fast-moving and breaking news stories & video which are free from the negative bias which is often directed at the emergency services & NHS by some sections of the mainstream media.
One of the reasons we started 'Emergency Services News' was because we became tired of reading badly informed stories about the emergency services & NHS which seemed only ever to highlight negative aspects of the job.
We want to be the unheard voice of the remarkable men and women who serve in the emergency services, NHS and armed forces. And with around 500k page views each month, we are getting there!
As income from ads, the mainstay source of income for most publishers, continues to decline; we need the help of you, our readers.
You can support emergency services news from as little as £1. It only takes a minute. Every contribution, however big or small, is vital for our future.
Please help us to continue to highlight the life-saving work of the emergency services, NHS and armed forces by becoming a supporter.