The Met Police firearms officer who shot and killed Jermaine Baker during a foiled prison breakout can face misconduct proceedings, the Court of Appeal has ruled, following a challenge by the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).
Baker, 28, of Tottenham, north London, was shot during a Metropolitan Police operation which thwarted a plot to snatch two prisoners – who had been arrested for firearms offences – from a van near Wood Green Crown Court in December 2015.
The IOPC investigated Mr Baker’s death and the officer involved was criminally interviewed by their investigators.
A file was sent to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) who decided not to bring any criminal charges against the officer.
The IOPC then directed that the Met Police should bring disciplinary proceedings for gross misconduct against the officer who has been referred to as ‘officer W80’.
However, the Met Police disagreed with the IOPC’s decision to bring a misconduct hearing against the officer and so no such hearing was arranged.
The IOPC then started legal action against the Met in an attempt to force them to bring the misconduct hearing against the officer.
But the High Court eventually quashed the decision of the IOPC in August last year after Officer W80 challenged it.
But, in what has been described as a ‘landmark ruling’ on Friday (October 9), three leading judges from the Court of Appeal overturned the High Court’s judgment following an appeal by the IOPC.
In a summary of the ruling, Sir Geoffrey Vos said:
“The IOPC was justified in concluding that it was open to a reasonable misconduct panel to make a finding of misconduct if W80’s honest, but mistaken, belief that his life was threatened was found to be unreasonable.
“That conclusion was soundly based in law on the proper and plain meaning of the relevant regulations and the (College of Policing’s) Code of Ethics.”
Sitting with Lady Justice Macur and Lady Justice Nicola Davies, Sir Geoffrey said the IOPC’s decision to direct the Met to bring misconduct proceedings stands.
The judge told the court that Officer W80 has seven days to decide whether to appeal to the Supreme Court.
In December 2015, Baker was in a stolen Audi with two other men, waiting for Izzet Eren and a co-defendant to arrive in a security van from Wormwood Scrubs prison to be sentenced for a firearms offence.
While monitoring the three men, police moved in on the vehicle, and Mr Baker was fatally shot by a firearms officer referred to as W80.
Responding to the outcome the NPCC lead for armed policing, Chief Constable Simon Chesterman, said:
“Police officers put themselves in harm’s way to protect people on a daily basis, and they do so within the boundaries of the law and far-reaching police conduct rules. They are amongst the most accountable officers in the world.
“Firearms officers are carefully selected, receive world-class training, and they very rarely need to use lethal force in the execution of their duty. In fact, they only discharge firearms at 0.03 per cent of armed deployments.
“Independent scrutiny and accountability for the actions of police are hugely important. But equally as important is ensuring that the challenges faced by officers, as they work to keep people safe, are recognised, and they are treated fairly by those judging their actions with the benefit of hindsight. The introduction of body-worn video has been a major step forward in this respect.
“This is a disappointing judgement and it is important that we now take time to closely reflect on it.”
Ken Marsh, Chairman of the Metropolitan Police Federation, said:
“We will be reviewing the decision carefully.
“I now look to The National Police Chiefs’ Council and College of Policing to provide leadership and direction to our members as to what this means – so we can answer the concerns we all share.
“W80 is aware, supported and dealing with the outcome as best he can, and accepts that this is part of his journey to clear his name.”
Deputy Assistant Commissioner Matt Twist said their firearms officers “know and accept their actions will be highly scrutinised but no doubt they will be disappointed by today’s judgement”.
A spokesperson for the IOPC said:
“It was wrong to say that there could be no misconduct wherever an officer used proportionate force based on an honest belief that he was in danger.
“If the officer made an honest mistake, the disciplinary panel must still determine whether the use of force was reasonable in all the circumstances.
“In many cases, an honest mistake is also likely to be found to have been reasonable in all the circumstances, but there will be some cases where it will not.
IOPC Director General Michael Lockwood added:
“This is an important legal decision for maintaining public trust and confidence in a system which ensures police are accountable for upholding the standards of professional behaviour.
“Police officers have a difficult job, work in extraordinary circumstances and make difficult decisions in challenging situations. We recognise that use of force is a key tool in policing, and that police have been entrusted with the power to use force in a range of circumstances.
“In return, the public must be assured that this power will always be exercised responsibly, reasonably and proportionately.
“The examination of serious incidents such as this in a disciplinary hearing ensures transparency and public scrutiny of the circumstances. This principle of police being accountable for their actions is fundamental to policing by consent.
“Today’s decision provides that confirmation and reassurance to the public.”
Before you go...
We need your help. As former emergency services & armed forces personnel, we pride ourselves on bringing you important, fast-moving and breaking news stories which are free from the negative bias which is often directed at the emergency services by some sections of the mainstream media.
One of the reasons we started 'Emergency Services News' was because we became tired of reading badly informed stories about the emergency services which seemed only ever to highlight negative aspects of the job.
We want to be the unheard voice of the remarkable men and women who serve in the emergency services, NHS and armed forces. And with around 500k page views each month, we are getting there!
As income from ads, the mainstay source of income for most publishers, continues to decline; we need the help of our readers.
And remember, if you have a service, product or job vacancy that you would like to promote to our large readership, then you can buy advertising space in our articles.
You can support emergency services news from as little as £1. It only takes a minute. Every contribution, however big or small, is vital for our future.
Please help us to continue to highlight the life-saving work of the emergency services, NHS and armed forces by becoming a supporter.