Dyfed-Powys Police have confirmed three arrests have been made and nearly 30 dogs, which were suspected of having been stolen, have been returned safely to their rightful owners.
On Sunday 24th January, up to 80 dogs were found at a property in Carmarthenshire. Dyfed-Powys and South Wales Police started an investigation.
On Saturday, a number of dogs were also recovered by South Wales Police from a location near Briton Ferry.
All dogs and puppies were scanned for microchips with assistance from local animal welfare officers, the local authority and South Wales Police.
The remaining dogs are being cared for as police enquiries continue.
Detective Inspector Barry Kelly said:
“Our enquiries are ongoing to establish lawful ownership of the remaining dogs and puppies, but we have so far returned 28 dogs to their owners, which is very positive.
“Once a full inventory of the recovered animals has been prepared, we will review any relevant criminal records and queries from the public with a view to repatriation.
“The remaining dogs are all currently safe and being cared for by professional kennels while we carry out our investigation.”
Dyfed-Powys Police said they have made two arrests in connection with the investigation.
One person was arrested on suspicion of handling stolen goods on Sunday, January 24, and a second was arrested on suspicion of burglary on Thursday, January 28.
Both have been released on bail pending further enquiries.
On Wednesday 27th January, South Wales Police also arrested a man on suspicion of handling stolen goods. He has been released under investigation.
DI Barry added:
“While one person was arrested at the location, we have been following strong lines of enquiry with a view to identifying further suspects. Given the scale of the operation, we believed more than one individual is involved.
“This led to further arrests taking place this week.”
Stay up-to-date with more news from the front line by subscribing to our free newsletter. Subscribe by clicking HERE.
Before you go...
We need your help. As former emergency services & armed forces personnel, we pride ourselves on bringing you important, fast-moving and breaking news stories & video which are free from the negative bias which is often directed at the emergency services & NHS by some sections of the mainstream media.
One of the reasons we started 'Emergency Services News' was because we became tired of reading badly informed stories about the emergency services & NHS which seemed only ever to highlight negative aspects of the job.
We want to be the unheard voice of the remarkable men and women who serve in the emergency services, NHS and armed forces. And with around 500k page views each month, we are getting there!
As income from ads, the mainstay source of income for most publishers, continues to decline; we need the help of you, our readers.
You can support emergency services news from as little as £1. It only takes a minute. Every contribution, however big or small, is vital for our future.
Please help us to continue to highlight the life-saving work of the emergency services, NHS and armed forces by becoming a supporter.