Paramedic Uses Neighbour’s Ladder To Save Five People From Burning House
Emergency services were called to a residential fire in the early hours of the morning but an ambulance crew arrived at the scene of the blaze, in Eastfield Place, Sutton, before the fire service.
When the ambulance crew arrived, they were met with a large fire that had already consumed the ground floor of the property meaning that the residents were trapped on the 1st floor.
A man and a woman, a teenage male and two young girls were all rescued from the first floor of the terraced property after the ambulance crew used a ladder from an adjacent property to rescue the residents.
In total, three occupants were taken to Airedale Hospital, with various degrees of smoke inhalation and burns.
Yorkshire Ambulance Service sent three crews to the incident, at about 1.45am.
Firefighters from Skipton and Keighley also attended.
Fire crews used 2 hosereels, a thermal imaging camera as well as their own ladders during the blaze.
The outcome of the fire could have been far worse had it not been for the fact that the property had a smoke alarm fitted which alerted the family to the blaze.
Fire service officials have urged members of the public to routinely check their smoke detectors.
And if you don’t have one yet, then get one! A fire alarm really could save your families life.
If you have a story or one-off blog that you would like to share with us, then you can contact our team of former emergency services personnel either through our Facebook page, via twitter ( @ES_News_ ) or you can contact us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org