LFB Warning Against Candles After School Child Suffers Serious Burns During School Carol Service

Teachers and parents are being warned not to use real candles following an accident during a school’s carol service, which resulted in a child suffering severe burns. 

A young boy from St Thomas Becket Catholic Primary School was seriously injured yesterday after his costume caught alight when it came into contact with a candle. 

He remains in hospital in a serious condition. 

London Fire Brigade’s Fire Investigation team and fire safety officers attended Our Lady of the Annunciation Church in Croydon following a call from the Metropolitan Police Service.

The Brigade’s Assistant Commissioner for Fire Safety, Dan Daly, said: 

“This horrific accident is a stark reminder of the risk real candles can pose. They are a completely unnecessary hazard when it comes to children and school plays.

“Sadly, this isn’t the first time we have seen clothing and costumes set alight by candles and people need to recognise the risk and prevent these incidents from happening again. 

“People should not be using real candles – especially around children, costumes and decorations – when there are far safer alternatives available.

“LED, battery-operated or electric candles take away the dangers associated with a naked flame. They can be left unattended, and it doesn’t matter if they are dropped or knocked over.”

At this time of year, there are even more hazards around as people wear festive clothing and decorate their homes.

The LFB has advised that if you do have candles in your home, then you should ensure that they are never left unattended and that they are in a suitable fire resistant candleholder and placed on a heat resistant surface. 

A spokesperson for Croydon Council said: 

“Our thoughts are with all those affected by this very sad incident, and we are supporting staff, pupils and the wider school community.

“We will be working closely with the school, the diocese and London Fire Brigade to review the circumstances to minimise the risk of anything like this happening in the future.”

Noel Campbell, Headteacher of St Thomas Becket Catholic Primary School, said: 

“Our whole school community is devastated by the incident that occurred at our carol service yesterday.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the child and his family at this difficult time. 

“Following this incident, our pupils, staff and families are being given support.”

CLICK here to join our Emergency Services News community on Facebook. 

Our social media group/community is open to both the public and emergency services personnel. 

It is also a great place to share any emergency services related content (such as videos) which you have filmed. 

If you have a story or video that you would like us to cover/share, then you can contact our team via contact@emergency-services.news

We also cover stories which relate to the NHS, the armed forces and the security services. 

Let us know what YOU think in the comments below!