Teenager Found Guilty After Attacking A Police Officer With A Claw Hammer

Brandon Flanagan, 18 (26.10.00), of Bell Lane, Twickenham, was found guilty at Kingston Crown Court on Thursday, 11 October of grievous bodily harm with intent and possession of an offensive weapon in a public place. 

Flanagan had denied all charges against him. He will be sentenced at the same court on Wednesday, 4 December.

The jury heard that on the afternoon of Monday, 20 May several members of the public called 999 to report two people on a motorbike behaving suspiciously in the Kneller Park area of Twickenham.

Flanagan, who is now known to have been the pillion passenger, was reportedly openly carrying both a knife and a hammer.

Two PCs from the South West area’s Emergency Response Team attended and positioned themselves close to a nearby underpass to intercept the motorbike. 

When it emerged, the officers stopped the vehicle and took hold of the suspects in an attempt to detain them.

At this point, Flanagan used the claw hammer which he was holding to strike one of the PCs with considerable force across the back of his head before running away. 

Brandon Flanagan | Credit: Met Police

The rider of the motorbike also escaped and enquiries continue to identify him.

As the officer lay injured, his colleague pursued Flanagan on foot. 

Flanagan, in a desperate bid to escape, jumped over a fence and started running through gardens. 

The officer deployed his Taser and told Flanagan to stay on the floor, but while the officer was climbing over the fence, Flanagan seized the opportunity and ran away – with the Taser prongs still attached to his jacket.

A short while later, police were called to a suspicious male matching the description of Flanagan at a nearby pub. 

Officers entered the premises and found Flanagan drinking a soft drink. When challenged, Flanagan lied about his name.

The injured officer’s colleague then entered the pub and identified Flanagan as the male he chased and Tasered. 

Flanagan was then arrested. 

The investigation was led by DC Ben Pierce, from the South West area’s CID, who established his case based on DNA evidence and witness accounts.

The injured officer is now fully recovered but required hospital treatment for a deep wound to his scalp.

Detective Sergeant Kara Moulds, from the South West area’s CID, said: 

“Flanagan has shown no remorse for his actions and has refused to admit his guilt throughout. 

“The evidence collected by DC Pierce was overwhelming, and as a result, the jury convicted Flanagan. 

“He is now facing a long stint behind bars where he can reflect upon his actions.

“This case highlights the very real risks with which police officers are confronted on a daily basis, and the courage and professionalism officers demonstrate when doing their job. 

“Police officers do their job to protect the public, not to be viciously attacked by them.”

Anyone with information about the motorbike driver is asked to call police on 101 quoting CAD 4500/20MAY or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Let us know what YOU think in the comments below!