Family Of Seriously Injured Police Officer Thanks Public For Their Support

The family of a West Midlands traffic PC who was severely injured when he was run over by a hijacked police car have said a heartfelt thank you for the messages of support that have come flooding in.

PC Gareth Phillips, aged 42, remains in intensive care today where his condition is said to be stable.

PC Phillips was knocked down and driven over while trying to arrest a suspected car thief after tracing a stolen vehicle to Moseley in Birmingham on Saturday (10 August).

PC Gareth Phillips

In a statement today, PC Phillips’ family said:

“We are grateful for all the messages of support that we’ve had from the police and members of the public. 

“Gareth is still very poorly and faces a long battle to recover.

“What happened on Saturday demonstrates the dangers that officers face every day.

“We’d ask for people to respect our privacy now while we as a family support Gareth over the weeks and months ahead.”

The unmarked police BMW was hijacked in Moorcroft Road, Moseley, at around 4.45pm and reversed into the officer, knocking him down, before driving over his body as he lay pinned under the vehicle.

Mubashar Hussain, 29, of no fixed address, was arrested in the Sparkbrook area a short time later and appeared in court today charged with the attempted murder of PC Phillips.

He also faces charges of causing serious injury by dangerous driving, a separate count of dangerous driving, wounding another officer who suffered a cut arm, four counts of assaulting other PCs, driving while disqualified, driving without insurance, two car thefts and an aggravated vehicle taking relating to a police BMW.

The car thefts relate to the Range Rover Sport taken on Saturday and another Range Rover stolen in Birmingham the previous day.

A second man, 24-year-old Ahsan Ghafoor, of no fixed address, has been charged with the same two car thefts, plus dangerous driving and other motoring offences.

Both appeared at Birmingham Magistrates Court today and were remanded in custody to appear before Birmingham Crown Court on 9 September.

Let us know what YOU think in the comments below!