Jail For 75-Year-Old Male Who Bombarded Police With Abusive 999 Calls

A man who persistently breached his anti-social behaviour order to abuse Cheshire Police’s 999 is to spend the next 26 weeks behind bars.

Derek Irons, aged 75, of Goose Lane in Hatton, Warrington pleaded guilty to breaching four criminal behaviour orders at Warrington Magistrates Court on 31 July.

It was between 10.49pm on Sunday 21 July to 8 am on Monday 22 July that Irons made 22 recorded phone calls to the force through the 999 emergency and 101 non-emergency service. 

Irons, who made the calls using two mobile phones, never reported any ongoing incidents during the time-wasting calls.

The court heard how the actions of Irons would have resulted in further genuine calls from the public for help, being delayed. 

The court heard how the majority of Irons’ calls were made when he was drunk.

He would be abusive and swear at call takers, causing them to be terminated, only for him to ring again. 

Dave McMahon, manager of the Force Control Centre, said:

“Irons’ drunken calls could have delayed a genuine emergency call from the public.

“He was also a nuisance to staff in the force control centre who had to endure his abuse.

“Despite the criminal behaviour order put in place to prevent him from making these calls, he chose to ignore it and is now serving 26 weeks for the repeated breach.

“Call handlers have a very important role to play, and they are the first point of contact when the public need the police’s help. 

“They are often dealing with very complex and difficult live situations, making calls like these extremely disrupting and preventing them from dealing with those who really need our help.”

“I hope this highlights to others that we do investigate cases where members of the public misuse the emergency and non-emergency lines and will seek a prosecution for those who continue to potentially put others at risk and abuse our staff.”

Let us know what YOU think in the comments below!