A group of 31 Metropolitan Police officers face a £200 fixed penalty notice after breaching Covid-19 regulations while on duty.
Earlier this month, the Met received an allegation that a number of officers had their hair cut by a professional barber while at Bethnal Green police station.
The incident happened on Sunday 17 January.
A local investigation was launched, and the Met has now confirmed that it has been decided that the 31 police officers who had their haircut should each face a £200 fixed penalty notice.
Two officers involved in organising the activity, have also been identified and have been notified that they are under investigation for misconduct.
Local policing commander, Detective Chief Superintendent Marcus Barnett, said:
“It is deeply disappointing and frustrating that my officers have fallen short of the expectation to uphold Covid-19 regulations.
“Although officers donated money to charity as part of the haircut, this does not excuse them from what was a very poor decision. I expect a lot more of them.
“It is right therefore, officers should each face a £200 fine, as well as misconduct action for those two who organised this event.
“Quite rightly, the public expect police to be role models in following the regulations which are designed to prevent the spread of this deadly virus.
“I hope this action proves that police are not immune to enforcement of the rules, and we are prepared as an organisation to take action if we see officers have behaved irresponsibly.”
One police commentator said: “You have to wonder what additional risk a masked barber would add to a workplace presumably full of all sorts of unknown risks brought in from the streets?”.
Stay up-to-date with more news from the front line by subscribing to our free newsletter. Subscribe by clicking HERE.
Got a story? Send your videos and pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org
Before you go...
We need your help. As former emergency services & armed forces personnel, we pride ourselves on bringing you important, fast-moving and breaking news stories which are free from the negative bias which is often directed at the emergency services by some sections of the mainstream media.
One of the reasons we started 'Emergency Services News' was because we became tired of reading badly informed stories about the emergency services which seemed only ever to highlight negative aspects of the job.
We want to be the unheard voice of the remarkable men and women who serve in the emergency services, NHS and armed forces. And with around 500k page views each month, we are getting there!
As income from ads, the mainstay source of income for most publishers, continues to decline; we need the help of our readers.
And remember, if you have a service, product or job vacancy that you would like to promote to our large readership, then you can buy advertising space in our articles.
You can support emergency services news from as little as £1. It only takes a minute. Every contribution, however big or small, is vital for our future.
Please help us to continue to highlight the life-saving work of the emergency services, NHS and armed forces by becoming a supporter.