A Halstead boy (Essex) from the Ramsey Academy has been thanked by officials from Essex County Fire & Rescue Service for calling 999 when he saw smoke emerging from a motorhome.
Cameron was putting the rubbish out when he heard a smoke alarm going off in his next-door neighbour’s house at around 17:00 hours on 6th January.
Cameron then noticed smoke was coming from a motorhome that was parked on his neighbour’s driveway.
Cameron then ran inside to tell his parents what he had seen before calling 999 as he gave a detailed description of what he could see.
Education Officer Andrea Adams, who works in the Service’s Community Safety team, had recently given a safety talk to Cameron and his fellow students at The Ramsey Academy in Halstead.
The topics included by Andrea in her speech included how and when to call 999 in an emergency and what should be said to the Control Room Operator.
Watch Manager Steve Byrne from Halstead Fire Station explains what happened on the night of the fire:
“The motorhome was parked just one metre away from a house and flames were coming out of the windows and the top of the vehicle.
“Cameron’s quick thinking and actions meant that we were alerted without delay, from the time Cameron called 999 to us arriving was nine minutes. When we arrived the rear cab area of the motorhome was 100 percent alight, but luckily r the fire had not yet spread to the fuel tank, which was full, or to the house.
“There were also gas cylinders in the motorhome that we were able to remove before the fire and heat got to them. The motorhome was used by a couple from Devon as a permanent home, they were visiting family, and there was a lot of valued items and memories within the vehicle that we saved.
“The crews managed to control the fire quickly without any damage to the house.
“Another five minutes and this would have been a different story to tell.
“What Cameron had learnt and remembered from Andrea’s visit, as well as his quick thinking and actions, saved his neighbour’s house and probably his own home, and prevented possible serious injury to the occupants.”
For his actions, Cameron was awarded with a certificate of recognition and a service badge which were presented to him at his school by Andrea and Steve.
Steve added: “Cameron also gets lots of thanks from his very grateful neighbours.
“His parents and school are extremely proud of him, as he should be of himself.
“Cameron and his parents have also accepted my invitation to visit the fire station on a training night to meet the crew and have a tour, as a special thank you.”
Our social media group/community is open to both the public and emergency services personnel.
It is also a great place to share any emergency services related content (such as videos) which you have filmed.
If you have a story or video that you would like us to cover/share, then you can contact our team via firstname.lastname@example.org
We also cover stories which relate to the NHS, the armed forces and the security services.